I think the IOC would agree that cross country *could* be contested entirely
on snow or ice, but the point is that their policy is that a sport always
*must* be contested on snow or ice to get into the Winter Games.

The fact that XC's rules do not require a snow covered course disqualifies
it.

Kurt Bray