Someone else from his era:

Lausanne, Switzerland -- Sylvio de Magalhaes Padilha, a Brazilian sportsman and
former member of the International Olympic Committee, has died. He was 93.

"Sylvio de Magalhaes Padilha was a wonderful athlete and a great sports leader
who contributed greatly to the development of sport in Brazil and South
America," IOC president Jacques Rogge said in a statement.

A career army officer, Mr. de Magalhaes Padilha competed in sprint events and
long jump, representing Brazil in the 1932 and 1936 Olympic Games and reaching
the final of the 400 metres in 1936. He also was a Brazilian basketball
champion.

He became an IOC member in 1964 and served for more than 30 years, including as
an IOC vice-president from 1975 to 1978. He also was a former president of the
Brazilian Olympic Committee.
AP