> On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, lorenzo hill wrote:
>
> > we all do it...we just
> > dont get caught...so does that make it wrong?
>
> Since we're on the topic of "things which damage our sport", why don't we
> consider the general implications of the above statement?...

What implications?  It's no different than the implications of a long jumper
or javelin thrower who tries to hit the board exactly and goes over.  Or a
hurdler who intentionally uses technique that will more than likely hit a
hurdle.  Or a walker who tries to stretch the "loss of contact visible to
the human eye" rule as far as possible.  All these athletes are simply
pushing the envelope, knowing that it might not work, but it's a risk
they've decided to take (of course you almost never see a hurdler get dq'd
for intentionally hitting a hurdle, but you probably should).

As for other sports, basketball players do it all the time - they call it a
foul.  In baseball pitchers openly throw close to players to try to make a
statement - and sometimes get thrown out for it.  In American football,
players "hold" all the time, hoping they won't get caught.  In tennis, they
try to hit as close to the line as possible and sometimes it goes out.
Almost every sport includes attempts to push the competition right up to the
edge of the rules and risk going beyond.

No, the only implications of the above statement are that some track people
have their head too far up something to see the forest for the trees.

- Ed Parrot