From: RT

AP story on World Cup award

--------------------
L.A. to Host 2006 T&F World Cup
--------------------

By Associated Press

September 19, 2002, 11:21 AM EDT

MADRID, Spain -- The World Cup, track and field's biggest team event, will be held in
Los Angeles in 2006, providing a boost for the sport in the United States.

It will be the first time the event, held every four years, has been staged in the
United States.

The International Association of Athletics Federations, the sport's governing body,
said Thursday the World Cup will take place at a new facility being built at
California State University, Dominguez Hills. The announcement was made by IAAF
president Lamine Diack and USA Track & Field chief executive Craig Masback on the eve
of this year's World Cup in Madrid.

In a change to the current two-day format, the 2006 event will take place over four
days during the Labor Day weekend, with three days of competition and one day for an
opening ceremony.

Marion Jones, who's from Los Angeles, said she expects to compete in the event. Jones
won an unprecedented five medals at the 2000 Sydney Olympics and is competing at the
World Cup this week in Madrid.

"Every time I go back to California, it's like I'm going home," Jones said. "To get
the chance to go back to the place of my birth for a major championship will be one of
the highlights of my career."

Diack, the IAAF president since 1999, said it has been his priority to help promote
the sport in the United States, where track and field has a low profile compared with
the rest of the world. The sport's world championships have never been held in the
United States.

The World Cup will be the first major IAAF event in the United States since Boston
hosted the 1992 World Cross Country Championships. The 2006 meet is expected to be the
biggest international track and field event held in the United States -- other than
the Olympics.

"Having hosted two Olympics and numerous other world class meets, track and field has
played an important part in our city's illustrious sports history," said David Simon,
president of the L.A. Sports Council. "The 2006 World Cup will be the most significant
track competition held here since the '84 Games, and we look forward to watching the
world's best compete in our new stadium."

A $130 million multi-venue facility, which includes a 30,000-seat track and field
stadium, is expected to be completed next June.

Copyright (c) 2002, The Associated Press

This article originally appeared at:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-run-world-cup-20060919sep19(0,4011466).story

Visit Newsday online at http://www.newsday.com