> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:34:29 -0500 (CDT)
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: t-and-f: thin sprinters
>
> Listers,
>
> I am sorry to hear of Bob Hayes's death.  Growing up in the 1970's I learned
> to think of Bob Hayes as the best sprinter ever, and his build (6', 190 lb,
> according to Justin Clouder's bio) the ideal sprinter's build.  Now Tim
> Montgomery (5'10", 155 lbs, according to his USATF bio) has the world record,
> even though from his height and weight you might guess he was a distance
> runner.  Does TM have an unusually slender physique for a world class
> 100-meter man, or am I merely the last to notice that sprinters are getting
> thinner?>

Actually, I'd say teh size of sprinters has remained remarkably consistent
throughout the years. Starting w/ the '72 season (cuz that's the first year
T&FN listed ht/wt with World Rankings) and going in 10-year blocks (assuming
that this year will look very much like '02, given the number of people
liable to repeat), here's what we get for average of teh top 10.

1972--5-10/160
1982--5-10.25/168
1992--5-10.5/173
2001--5-9.25/166

At 5-10/155 Montgomery is pretty average. And based on the upper torso he
showed while doing his post-Paris striptease (Drummond kept the homestretch
amused w/ his posing while Montgomery was victory-lapping down the
backstretch), I'd say he's 5 or 10lb heavier than that, making him about as
average as you can get.

It's really amazing to see how few 6-footers make it into the World Rankings
in the 100. (Obikwelu was the only one last year)

gh