Message text written by Bill Allen

Hersh has benefited from credentialism too; he knows as well as I that many
is the person who could represent a client as well as he with his JD or I
with my LLB.  But we have the benefit of the lawyer's monopoly.<

Ah yes, Bill, but that monopoly derives not from the degree alone, but
rather from membership in a bar that requires both the degree and passing a
brutal 13-hour exam (in my state) to attain, and continuing legal education
to maintain.  This is not to say that there aren't non-members of the bar
who could do what we do, or that there aren't members of the bar who cannot
competently do what we do.  But in general, I think that the monopoly is
earned and it benefits not only the lawyers, but also the public.  I would
not want to be given medical treatment by someone who lacked a medical
degree and a state license, and I wouldn't want to be legally represented
by an unlicensed person either.  You may call that credentialism; I call it
common sense.

Bob H