> From: "Todd Harbron"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:11:35 -0700
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: t-and-f: Montgomery to Skip World Cup Race
>
> He probably fears a loss would hurt his chances of obtaining the coveted #1
> 100m ranking from T&FN.  I would suspect he has a slight advantage to rank #1
> over the Brit now having won the top honor so far this year.>>

Take this NOT as a definitive statement from one of the Rankings panel, but
just as my musings at this point.

They're pretty danged close. On the season, Chambers and Montgomery are 2-2
in head-to-head. Each won 4 European GP races. Montgomery is a bit faster in
terms of top-5 average (the WR itself has basically no bearing on the
Rankings, although it certainly will in AOY consideration). But Monty also
has a losing record (3-4) against Mo.

Had they gone head-to-head in Madrid and Chambers won, the choice between
the two would have been exceedingly brutal. I'm not sure how I would have
viewed it. As it is, i personally PROBABLY give the nod to Montgomery,
becuase the GP Final was without question the most important race of the
year.

So, if as mum used to say, "discretion is the better part of valour," then
his no-race choice may have been the prudent one.

No idea if Chambers was just shot by the World Cup, or if with neither
Greene nor Montgomery in the race his heart just wasn't in it. He definitely
looked rather flat.

gh