(From the LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon media)

JOAN SAMUELSON JOINS THE
LASALLE BANK CHICAGO MARATHON'S ELITE FIELD

Chicago (October 3, 2002) Joan Samuelson, a pioneer in women's
marathon running and America's greatest women's marathon legend, has committed to run
the 25th
anniversary of The LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon, it was announced today by Executive
Race Director
Carey Pinkowski. The 25th Anniversary LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon takes place
Sunday, October 13
at 7:30 a.m.

"Joan Samuelson's return to compete in this year's Marathon makes the
celebration of our 25th anniversary complete," said Pinkowski. " Joan is
an
integral part of the history of our event. I have been a big fan of hers
for many years, all of us who were privileged to watch Joan's
inspirational
victory at the 1984 Olympics will be pulling for her."

Samuelson, 45, then known as Joan Benoit, won the first women's Olympic
Marathon on August 5, 1984 in 2:24:52, the only American women ever to
win
a Olympic gold medal in the marathon distance. She has set the American
record in the marathon five times and still holds the record from her
1985
LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon victory (2:21:21). Samuelson also holds the
American record at 25K (1:24:43, set in 1986) and the half-marathon mark
(1:08:34, set in 1984). She is a two-time winner of the Boston Marathon
(1979, 1983) and former marathon World Record holder.

"Seventeen years after setting the American record in Chicago, it's a
great
feeling to be coming back to The LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon for the
25th
anniversary," said Samuelson. "I know that I am fortunate to still be
able
to race in the marathon and I look forward to competing against the
masters
ranks. I am going to give it my best shot!"

In 2000, Samuelson was ninth at the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials
(2:39:59)
and last year she was the first masters finisher at the New York City
Marathon in 2:42:56. She has been the top masters finisher at the Bix
7-Mile Road Race, the Carlsbad 5000, and the Falmouth Road Race. A Maine
native, Samuelson lives in Freeport, Maine, with her husband Scott and
children Amber and Anders. She is active in many community and civic
organizations and is the founder of the Beach to Beacon 10K Road Race.

Elite athletes will compete this fall for an event-record purse of
$500,000. The male and female winners each will earn $100,000, the
largest
ever payout for first place in a marathon. The 2002 LaSalle Bank Chicago
Marathon begins Sunday, October 13 at 7:30 a.m., starting and finishing
in
Chicago's Grant Park. The race will be televised live on NBC5 and
broadcast
on Chicago's ESPN Radio AM1000 from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.

                                   # # #
privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender
by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly
prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change.
ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (including its group companies) shall not be liable
for
the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its group companies) does not guarantee
that
the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this
communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.