From: RT

--------------------
'Untraceable' Drug Worries Officials
--------------------

By ERRIN HAINES
Associated Press Writer

October 7, 2002, 4:38 PM EDT

ATLANTA -- U.S. Anti-Doping Agency officials are keeping a close eye on an anti-anemia
drug that would be virtually undetectable by blood or urine tests if used for
performance enhancement.

Repoxygen, a new drug still in clinical trials, increases levels of erythropoietin
(EPO), a hormone that supplies high amounts of oxygen to the muscles and increases
endurance.

Anti-doping officials, meeting in Atlanta, said Monday they are worried about all
forms of blood manipulation to enhance oxygen delivery -- including transfusion of red
blood cells, blood substitutes and any way of delivering EPO.

Unlike other EPOs, which USADA officials say can be detected by urine tests, Repoxygen
is hard to trace through the random blood or urine tests given to athletes at sporting
events.

"You can turn it on and off. It acts more or less like the body," USADA Senior Manager
Director Larry Bowers said.

Repoxygen encourages the body to produce its own EPO as athletes need it. Bowers said
the USADA is preparing for Repoxygen even though it is in the early stages of
development.

"We see Repoxygen as a significant threat, but we believe that by monitoring blood
over time, we will be able to detect unusual, not normal, blood production," Bowers
said.

Because the drug -- being developed by the British company Oxford BioMedica Plc -- is
still in clinical trials, Bowers said the USADA has not yet talked to the company
about possible abuse.

Arne Ljungqvist, chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency's Health, Medical and
Research Committee, said the sooner the partnership begins, the better.

"There is a tendency for substances under development to be used before they hit the
market," he said.

The USADA, which is responsible for managing the testing for U.S. Olympic, Pan Am and
Paralympic athletes, is pushing for urine testing as the primary detection method for
all banned substances.

But some scientists feel both blood and urine tests are needed.

Copyright (c) 2002, The Associated Press

This article originally appeared at:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-oly-anti-doping1007oct07,0,6935490.story

Visit Newsday online at http://www.newsday.com