in what i guess was meant to be a sharp rebuke, an private poster said this
relative to my screed slamming the Hall of Fame:

<<gh..ANYONE can nominate an athlete......what's the problem? you guys
complain but who have YOU nominated????????>>

I'd like to thank the poster for putting an even sharper point on my
bitching. Yes, ANYONE can nominate, and even worse, just about ANYONE can
vote. Who said this was a democracy?

At this point, let me paraphrase one of my fave Dennis Miller routines:

"You know, I'm always worried when I get on a train and I see the cord you
can pull to stop the train. Color me skeptical, but I'm not sure I want to
be on any form of mass transit where the general public has access to the
@#$@*#$! brakes. We're goin' off the tracks at 200mph because Gus thought he
saw a woodchuck."

Well, this just in: Gus has nominated the woodchuck for next year's HOF
class and says he's going to vote for him.

gh