Maybe this group was looking at the 2:14 barrier because that was the first time
bonus. A sub-2:14
was worth $1,000 (second time bonus: sub 2:12 - $3,000.) And, since these guys had
elite bid
numbers, 2:14 had to be by the clock time -  not the chip. A 2:13:59 group "training
run" and a
$1,000 is better than blowing up and coming home in 2:20-something. I think it was a
great day for
Ryan Shay, 23, a recent grad of Notre Dame. Too bad he was just outside the money, but
he is going
to have even better days ahead.

Some of these guys are from the Hanson team. I saw this group at 2M, 12M/20K, and at
15M. They had
their Hanson supporters on the course cheering them on, but the crowd got up for these
guys the
whole way. They did remind me of a bunch of college guys working together and
hammering a Sunday
morning 20 miler.

Americans in the top 25 with their ages and clock/chip times:

 6.) Alan Culpepper - 2:09:41

12.) Kyle Baker, 26 -2:14:13/2:13:52
13.) Clint Verran, 27 - 2:14:17/2:13:56
14.) Keith Dowling, 33 - 2:14:22/2:14:01
15.) Ryan Shay, 23 - 2:14:30/2:14:09
17.) Peter De La Cerda, 31 - 2:14:41/2:14:20
18.) Josh Cox, 27 - 2:15:01/2:14:40

23.) Weldon Johnson, 29 - 2:18:10/2:17:50