> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:53:40 -0400 (EDT)
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: t-and-f: NYTimes.com Article: A Journey With Wilt Chamberlain Through
> Sport and Life
>
> This article from NYTimes.com
> has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> A Journey With Wilt Chamberlain Through Sport and Life
>
> October 13, 2002
> By ROBERT LIPSYTE
>
>[most of it snipped here]

> But that's not all [Lynda Huey] wrote. Her journals and unpublished
> memoirs have a jock "Sex and the City" sensibility. In one
> episode, she wangles media credentials to get close to a
> famous Olympian from another country. In the midst of
> recounting the graphic, gamey details of their explosive
> encounter, she stops to describe an illegal,
> performance-enhancing substance he was using.
>
> She writes: "If you ever used dimethyl sulfur dioxide
> (DMSO), you tasted it; and if you ever tasted it, you never
> forgot that taste. It was the supposed wonder drug of the
> 1970's. If something hurt, you spread this clear,
> garlic-smelling syrup on it and sometimes the pain
> disappeared. Within a few minutes it was in your
> bloodstream and the taste of garlic was in your mouth." >>

If the NYT wrote it, it must be true, but this is the first I've ever heard
of DMSO being either illegal or performance-enhancing. Far as I know, it's
an industrial solvent that's a byproduct of the wood-processing industry.
Hence the fact that Bill Bowerman's athletes in the '60s loved it. It
penetrates the skin with ease, hence its use to carry other substances into
the body.

I can't imagine that the IAAF or IOC have ever looked at it as a substance
to be banned. Didn't the FDA even refuse even to sanction its production as
a "drug"? (I remember Oregon athletes of the era complaining that decision
was based on bad science.)

gh