GM cares about a few thousand hard core fans?  I doubt it.  IF they did,
they'd already fund nationwide coverage.
Ultimately (75 years from now? 100?) all television will be delivered via
broadband, but at a heck of a lot higher bandwidth than today, given the needs
of HDTV.
Companies like Connexion are already demonstrating that it can be done (via
satellite, and with a finite number of users).
I don't expect USATF to fund ANYTHING.
If a web enterprise wants to webcast a meet, the door is open.  (Dr. K- have
at it!)
At the Olympics, cameras from many nations are allowed side by side, why not
webcast and broadcast side by side?
Do Political Party Conventions grant broadcast coverage rights to a single
network?  Of course not.  It's in their interest to broaden the coverage as
much as possible.  (these days, of course, networks are not as interested as
they used to be).
There's not enough overlap to worry about 'stealing anybody's audience'.

The whole coverage model is wrong right now.
USATF should stop trying to follow the lead of the IOC.

RT