This was quite a while ago, even for me.  I remember a gymnast at the
U. of Illinois "breaking" the world record (in a gym, not in a track
meet) with a two footed takeoff.  This must have been just before 7 feet
was exceeded, and the gymnast exceeded 7 feet.  It was the subject of
an article in a national magazine of the time (probably "Life" because I
remember the photo.)  As I recall, the two footed takeoff was already
illegal, so there was no question of this guy going for the real world
record.

I may have a few details wrong -- it would have been about 50 years
ago, so I may be rusty.

Pat Palmer