I've long been an advocate of the 500, mainly because it would make for a
long sprint that's actually exciting. There's nothing more thrilling than
watching guys duelling down the backstretch at high speed in a 4x4, but when
you put them in lanes it sucks just about every last bit of thrill out of
it.  I'd love to see 400s run from a waterfall start (roller derby lives!)
but since the death toll would be unacceptable, that's why the 500 is so
appealing.

Put everybody at the 100 start (no blocks) at a bit of a tangent and let
them break for the pole at the end of the straight. Then you get a kick-ass
400 run out of lane 1.

It would also be a terrific event numerologically, with the 1-minute barrier
being a great marker for international-class running.

gh