From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:owner-t-and-f@;lists.uoregon.edu]On Behalf Of Ed Grant
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 5:52 PM
To: track net
Subject: t-and-f: Martked courses

Netters:

        At Wariananco park, Elizabeth, there is a line which marks the
course from start to ffinish. But we still put marshals out at crucial
points for two purposes: 1) to make sure no one cuts the course; 2) to make
sure that they go the right way.

        It makes no differenece how many athlketes go off course, what makes
the difference is that crucial points are properly covered by officials.
Look at what happened in a big college race several years ago---a coach
(Mike Brady of princeton) hyad to run down the leaders who hade made a
mistake on what is evidently a compliated course. When are people going to
realize that someone running a tough CC race is not out for a walk in the
park.

        One problem with NY is that they change the site of the state meet
every year. We had a four-course cycle in NJ some years back, but then
decided it would be best to put the last two weeks of the state meet at the
same course every year---and, ion addiion, there is a major invitation meet
there earlier in the year which is attended by rwo-thirds of the
state;teams, including mosat of the teams and athletes who have a shot at
state honors. The course is also open to practice runs every daym as are two
of our other sectional sites.  In a small state like ours, and with a
central site like Holmdel, no one is all that far away.

                                    Ed Grant