I just read something in the November Track & Field News that puzzled me. The article on the men's World Cup said that Colin Jackson crapped out in the hurdles, and Aleksandr Averbukh did the same in the PV. It then says, "Had they both won their events, the Europeans would have won the meet, but instead they ended up 3rd."

Since Great Britain had a national team at the WC and its athletes were not part of the Euro team, how could Colin Jackson winning his race have helped the Euro team? Is there something I don't understand about WC scoring, or did T&FN make an error?

Confused,
--
Lee Nichols
Assistant News Editor