GH wrote:

> The concept of a "free press" as we enjoy it today is a much more recent
> concept than you might imagine. The following ran in the SF Chronicle the
> other day, relative to the behaviour of papers in California politics in a
> not-too-distant past.

I would add, though, that the difference is that with modern huge,
multinational corporate media, a very few people control large segments
of the information that the general public gets.  The decisions on news
reflect positions of the entire corporation -- which usually has many
other divisions than simply news.  (Often, this tends toward, bland,
don't rock the boat positions.)

A century and a half ago, it was common for a city of a thousand people
to have several newspapers which engaged in vociferous support of their
individual politics and vitriolic attacks on each other.  Even 50 years
ago, big cities had several independent newspapers.  Chicago had five,
not counting the many ethnic newspapers.)  Now there are two.  One is
owned by the same group that owns the Jerusalem Post and other foreign
newspapers; the other is "home owned" (unless I forgot some
transaction) and also owns a TV station and other things, so that the
newspaper business is a relatively minor part of its empire.  This
consolidation is a more serious threat to a "free press" than was many
independently biased newspapers.

In the present example of the NYT, who determined the editorial
position on the Augusta National:  editors of a newspaper, or corporate
marketing executives -- and is there a difference?

Pat Palmer