I think that gh is accurate that the whole thing is further evidence of a
breakdown in civility, but perhaps it's even more accurate to say that
individuals are feeling less and less secure about themselves and compensate
by making fun of others in far more stupid ways than past generations did.
I've been honked/yelled-at/mocked in northern Calif., southern Calif., Oregon, Minnesota, Florida, and pretty much every other place where I've run more than once or twice.

My own theory on why they do it is that, by running past them, many people of a more sedentary life style are automatically annoyed. Because by your very willingness to so visibly work so hard at something they are too lazy to do, you are inadvertently asserting a form of moral superiority over them. And they resent it.

Kurt Bray

Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_addphotos_3mf