Back in the day, back before running was reinvented in Boulder, there was a war in the
streets as you tried to log your miles. One winter I was asked why my running outfit
was so ugly. The colors of this outfit could not be blamed on my color blindness. I
dyed my long johns a deep pink, my shorts were a green-yellow, the sweatshirt was
orange, and my stocking cap was red. I dressed like this as a form of self defense. In
the previous weeks, I was hit in the shoulder by the large mirrors of a pickup truck
that came up behind me when I ran a short stretch in the same direction as the
traffic. I found myself sprawled on the hood of a car because the driver only looked
to the left as she made a right hand turn.On a Sunday morning, a driver swerved toward
me and my hand hit the door handle, slashing the top of my hand and giving me a scar
that I sport to this day. I vowed that if I was hit again, the driver would have a
difficult time explaining that he didn't see me. I was ugly, but I at least felt
safer.
Have a happy new year.
JL