From: Welch Suggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 11:05:46 -0500
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Title IX: school's dropping men's track...

I'm trying to stay out of this, but just to offer a couple of historical
notes:

* Theresa Walton alluded to the fact that the Supreme Court essentially
voided Title IX for all programs save university financial aid in Grove
City College v. Bell in 1984. In the Civil Rights Restoration Act,
passed in 1988 over a presidential veto, Congress expressly stated that
Title IX was to cover all aspects of scholastic programs, including
sports. Many men's programs were dropped during these four years for a
variety of reasons, but gender equity wasn't among them. Many women's
programs were dropped, too.

* The dramatic expansion of women's opportunities and the gradual
cutbacks in some men's sports did not really start until after SCOTUS
ruled that plaintiffs in Title IX cases could get money damages
(Franklin v. Gwinnett County Public Schools, 1992). That, and subsequent
lawsuits filed by female athletes at Auburn, Brown, and Texas, really
got schools' attention.

* To be blatantly self-promoting, you can find a lot more about Title IX
on our website devoted to the subject:
http://chronicle.com/indepth/titleix . One thought I haven't gotten into
a story yet is the thought that the Title IX debate really is an
affirmative action debate. Once you wade through the emotion from male
runners (like me), wrestlers, and swimmers, the dilemma is whether you
think the government should allow the market to dictate opportunities in
things like scholastic sports, or you think that the government should
require schools and colleges to allocate opportunities equitably among
advantaged and disadvantaged opportunities. This is an interesting theme
in the discussions of the Ed Dept's commission, which can be found at
http://www.ed.gov/inits/commissionsboards/athletics/transcripts.html.

I hope this is of interest.

--Welch

--