Message text written by Phil Weishaar
>While Beamons 29' jump was well beyond anything I thought was possible,
his
breaking the world record was not a surprise to me after watching him jump
in the preliminary rounds in the days before.  Beamon had fouled on his
first 2 jumps and took a safe 5 steps approach that had all the speed of a
jog.  He took off  and jumped 26' 11 1/2" to qualify on his 3rd jump.  I
remember watching that jump and going out of my mind thinking of the
possibilities. 26' 11 1/2" on a POP_UP.   I also remember Jim McKay of ABC
announcing the attempt and reacting that ,whew, Beamon got a safe jump in
and I hope it is long enough to qualify.
  I believe the world record at the time was 27' 5.  I knew Beamon would go
past that during the finals if he hit the board. <

I was thinking the same thing for the same reasons.  As I recall, at least
one of those fouls was a monster, and his "safe" jump was as you described
it.  As Beamon was preparing for his first jump in the final, he was
fiercely concentrating and just looked ready.  I turned to the Brits
sitting next to me and said "Watch this -- 28 feet -first jump."  I then
turned around to the French guys sitting behind me and said (in French)
8.50-8.60 -- first jump.  They all looked at me as if I were a total
lunatic.  After the measurement was posted, I was too caught up in the
excitement and the celebration of the moment to say "I told you so."  And
in truth, I hadn't come close.

Bob H