here is the response I received from AOL:

I understand that you have questions about how to send plain text to your mailing list from users that are using AOL 7.0 and AOL 8.0.

NOTE: Also adviced the AOL member not use stationary in composing email.

Set your own personal preferences or click Reset to use the AOL default settings.
To return it to the Default Settings, please refer to these steps:

1. Click on SETTINGS on the AOL toolbar, and then click on PREFERENCES.
2. Click on FONT, TEXT & GRAPHICS.
3. Click on RESET to use the AOL default settings.
4. Click Save to make the changes take effect.
hope this works, if not we'll try again ...
-charlie