HAMBURG, Germany (March 5, 2003 11:53 a.m. EST) - About 20 leading pole
vaulters sent a letter to track and field's governing body to protest rule
changes they say will make records more difficult.

The group wants the IAAF to reconsider the changes, especially the reduction
of pole vault pegs by nearly one-third. The pegs hold the bar, and smaller
pegs will cause the bar to fall more easily when brushed by the vaulter.

Jeff Hartwig of the United States and Tim Lobinger of Germany were among
those who signed the letter.

"The athletes have been overrun by the changes and their prospects are not
good," Marc Osenberg, a former pole vaulter and agent of the many of the
vaulters who signed the letter, said Wednesday.

"On the other side, we have a good contact to IAAF and we are not seeking a
confrontation."