Courtesy Running USA wire

Drossin Destroys U.S. 15K Record and Four-Peats at Gate River Run
Keflezighi Wins Third-Straight USA 15K Title
By Charlie Mahler

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - (March 8, 2003) - It was windy at the Gate River Run 15K
today, but 2000 Olympian Deena Drossin was the one blowing things away.

The 30-year-old Mammoth Lakes, Calif. resident lopped 57 seconds off the U.S.
15K record she established here last year, and earned her fourth-straight
national title at the distance (the first female or male to do so). Her time
of 47:15 puts her over a minute ahead of the second-fastest American
all-time, Lisa Weidenbach who clocked 48:28 in 1989. Only Elana Meyer has run
faster for the distance; the South African ran 46:57 in 1991 (the world
record).

Meb Keflezighi, 27, also of Mammoth Lakes, won his third-straight men's 15K
title by shaking fellow U.S. Olympian Abdi Abdirahman two-thirds of the way
into the race. Keflezighi clocked 43:31 to Abdirahman's 43:59. Race
temperatures were in the mid-50s and skies were cloudy, but a rude wind met
the runners on the open stretches of the course.

"It's a little faster than I thought I would run, actually, but it's nice to
be able to surprise yourself like that. The wind was tough, but I guess it's
what a year of hard and smart work will do," Drossin the 14-time USA Champion
in track, cross country and road racing explained.

The anticipated duel with Marla Runyan, who finished second in 48:43, never
materialized as Drossin went through five miles in 25:11 and was under World
Record pace until the foot of the River Run's signature feature, the
high-arching Hart Bridge.

Following Drossin and Runyan were Colleen De Reuck, 3rd in 49:30, Sara Wells
of Team USA Minnesota, fourth in 50:07, Kim Fitchen-Young, fifth in 50:39 and
Amy Rudolph of Team USA California was sixth in 50:40. Drossin earned $10,000
for her victory plus an additional $6000 for the course and U.S. records.

Drossin's 15K record suggests some tantalizing possibilities for the next
race on her schedule: the World Cross Country Championships in Lausanne,
Switzerland on March 29. Drossin was runner-up to marathon World
Record-Holder Paula Radcliffe at World Cross in 2002, but the British star
recently announced she would not defend the title in 2003 in order to focus
on London.

So will Drossin win the World title?

"I'm gonna die trying," the Team USA California athlete only half-joked.

Like Runyan's performance, Keflezighi's championship three-peat, fine as it
is, was forced to fight for attention on what turned out to be Deena's day.
In a fashion similar to last year, Keflezighi broke away from Abdirahman in
the sixth mile of the race, opening up a five second gap at 10K - passed in
29:00 - that later grew to 11 seconds at the base of Hart Bridge, just prior
to the 8 mile mark.

Chad Johnson, the 2001 USA 25K Champion, finished third in 44:39, Olympian
Nick Rogers was fourth in 44:39, Portland's Dave Davis was fifth in 44:45 and
Clint Wells of Boulder, Colorado was sixth in 44:45.

Pondering his three straight wins in Jacksonville, Keflezighi found it hard
not to compare himself with his friend and Team USA California teammate,
Drossin.

"At the elite level, it's my first three-peat. It's very exciting," the
Eritrean-born UCLA graduate offered. "I'm trying to follow in Deena's
footsteps, but she keeps raising the bar though, you know, breaking her own
American record."

26th Gate River Run 15K: USA Championship
Jacksonville, FL, Saturday, March 8, 2003

MEN
 1) Meb Keflezighi, CA  43:31  $10,000
 2) Abdi Abdirahman, AZ 43:59    $4,000
 3) Chad Johnson, OR    44:39    $3,000
 4) Nick Rogers, OR 44:39    $2,000
 5) Dave Davis, OR  44:45    $1,000
 6) Clint Wells , CO    44:45      $900
 7) Mike Donnelly, OR   44:50      $800
 8) Ryan Shay, MI       45:22      $700
 9) Chris Seaton, NC    45:25      $600
10) Eddy Hellebuyck, NM 45:45    $1,500*
11) Matt Thull, WI  46:08
12) Chris Lundstrom, MN 46:12
13) Keith Dowling, VA   46:16
14) David Morris, NM    46:29
15) Henry Dennis, OH    46:39
*includes masters prize money

WOMEN
 1) Deena Drossin, CA   47:15# $16,000*
 2) Marla Runyan, OR    48:43    $4,000
 3) Colleen De Reuck, CO49:30    $3,000
 4) Sara Wells, MN  50:07    $2,000
 5) Kim Fitchen-Young, CA   50:39    $1,000
 6) Amy Rudolph, RI 50:40       $900
 7) Milena Glusac, CA   51:28       $800
 8) Sylvia Mosqueda, CA 51:31       $700
 9) Jenny Crain, OR 51:37       $600
10) Magdalena Lewy, CA  51:46       $500
11) Nicole Jefferson, CO52:27
12) Turnena Johnson Lane, GA    52:34
13) Jeanne Hennessy, NY 52:44
14) Dana Coons, VA  52:48
15) Rachel Sauder, AL   53:00
#U.S. record; previous record 48:12 by Deena Drossin at Gate River Run on
March 9, 2002; *includes $6000 bonus for course and U.S. records

For more results and information, visit the race website at:
http://www.1stplacesports.com

#   #   #

Ryan Lamppa