Kim,

Here is my personal (i.e. NOT as a TFN editor) response.  Let me also say
that Witherspoon's time is a great effort but simply doesn't stand up to the
test as a record.

Let's start with a quote from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution article on
Witherspoon, "Meet officials were operating under U.S. Track and Field
rules, which they say do not specify which turn must be used 'It is still
400 meters no matter if you break at the third or second turn,' said Bob
Rothenberg, a member of the games committee at the National Scholastic
Indoor Championships. 'As far as we are concerned, it is a valid record.
Show me the rule that says it is not and I will apologize. We did nothing
illegal and Mr. Witherspoon deserves the record.'"

Here is that rule: 62.8.b "The 400 Meters shall be run in lanes around two
turns."

Based on this rule alone I believe that no records/governing body shoud
accept Witherspoon's mark as a record.

Why does a three turn stagger matter?  Using a three turn stagger (~250m
before breaking) allows athletes to stay in their lanes for ~100 more than a
two turn stagger (~150m before breaking).  And thus the nature of the event
is changed.  There is less jostling, less work for position early in the
race, etc.  Because of this calling it a record when it cannot be
effectively compared with Reed's time, or any other time for that matter is
extremely problematic.

In private discussions, three of us with a combined track watching
experience of more than 100 years could not think of a single chanpionship
400 run with a three turn stagger.  So, why on earth would any official,
coach, or meet director even let the idea cross his or her mind that this
was an acceptable practice?

This is enough for us to start with.  I won't get into all the "who should
be doing this job" issues as I feel that any records body should come to the
same decision.

Ben