From: Ed Grant [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 6:46 PM
To: Ray Cook
Subject: Re: t-and-f: Eddie Hart returns to sprint wars

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Cook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 10:58 PM

> Hey...does anybody know how Robert Taylor managed to get the correct
> information but the Hart and Robinson didn't?

    Taylor didn't get the message any earlier; he was lucky enough to get
there just in time, after the U.S. learned of the mistake.

        There was another factor in all this which no one ever mentions. One
of the other two, I think it was Robinson,m had pulled up at the end of his
heat in an earlier round and there was a question as to whether he would be
ready. When he failed to appear---he was the first listed to run---we
figured he was unable to run. It was only when the second runner also failed
to appear that it became apparent there was something wrong.

        I was not covering the meet on a daily basis, but was with Hy
Goldberg when we got back to the village. He had been hired that day by AP
after his paper went down the drain the day before. When we got to the
village, I accompanied him to the US headquarters and, when he went in to
inquire about the injured runner, I walked over to the Irish rooms to see
Mike Keoigh, a NJ lad who was running for his native country in the 5K. I
was a few steps behind Stan Wright as I walked and almost caught up to ask
him, just casually, whether Robinson (as I think it was) would be ready for
the next round; hbut I figured he had enough on his mind and didn't. My
question would probably have been phrased: "will be he ready by 3 p,m.?"
What would have ensued i have no idea.

        The Irish headquarters, by the way, had the proper schedule posted
on the inside of its front foor

        Ed Grant

the