Steve is right, "rules is rules."  If the organization sponsoring the meet
follows that set of rules, it is up to the coaches and athletes to follow
them.  Too many times, people want to be the "victim" and not take
responsibility for their actions.  If the official didn't make the call
earlier, then it isn't fair that the call be made after the fact.  In my
opinion, that is "splitting hairs."  Also, the coach who continued to make
the protest over the jewelry needs to get a life and realize that mistakes
can be made.  Perhaps he doesn't know the intent of the rules.
Nevertheless, the DQ stands.  It is a shame, but it is reality.  If I miss
the 25mph speed limit sign because it is behind a bush and get pulled over
in a town, I get nailed. Period.

However, there is another issue.  Perhaps the power's to be need to look at
the rules structure of the sport.  I know that in Pennsylvania, there are at
least 8 sets of rules, depending on how is running the meet.  (USATF, NCAA,
PIAA [HS Assoc.], AAU, numerous HS conferences, and in Philadelphia, the
private schools, the Catholic schools and the public schools).  Granted,
kids don't run in all of those jurisdictions, but many of the officials work
in multiple formats.  Confusion yes, ignorance no.

It is my understanding in many places, the competition rules are the same
for all ages and divisions, only the specifications for the events (weights
and hurdles) vary for different ages.  Other than the politics of the powers
running the various organizations, what is keeping the sport to identify one
set of rules and follow them.  Perhaps then, there won't be incidents like
the one mentioned here or the "undergarment conspiracy" of a few years ago.

Trey Jackson
A coach, official, meet director in Pennsylvania