Kevin Havel breaks Jorge Torres's jr. high 1600m record

Frank Shorter said everybody in high school was a 4:30 miler. But occasionally, a
junior high runner can say that and mean it.

My son runs in the same USATF age division as this kid Kevin Havel, so I've seen him
produce numbers similar to Jorge Torres when he was at this age level.

Kevin Havel ran at the same junior high and for the same coach who also is the club
coach. But, I believe Kevin Havel will go to a different high school than where the
Torres brothers went.

There was some controversy with the Torres brothers, the high school coach, and the
club coach. The Torres brothers favored their club coach, who is a great coach.
Eventually, the Torres brothers were disqualified from the their senior high school
track season, reinstated, but Jorge decided to run in a meet out of state, which ended
his Ill. H.S. Assoc. career. He never ran in the state track meet his senior year and
never won a state track title, but won three state XC championships. Don Sage, a high
school junior at the time, won the 3200 and the 1600 the Torres brothers' senior year.

Not sure what controversy - if any - awaits when Kevin Havel enters high school this
fall. He's a good person, too.

http://www.iesa.org/activities/tr/2004/completeResults.asp?Sex=Boys&GradeLevel=8&Class=AA

Illinois Elementary School Association

State Track Meet
Peoria, Ill.

May 14-15, 2004

Boys 1600 Meter Run 8th Boys
AT Boys:         4:33.26         *       1995    Jorge Torres, Prospect Hts. MacArthur
Class AA Boys:   4:33.26         +       1995    Jorge Torres, Prospect Hts. MacArthur

Finals
        Name    School          H
1       Kevin Havel     Prospect Heights MacArthur      4:31.75 *       3

2       Matt Smith      Prospect Heights MacArthur      4:46.75         3
3       Dave Sayre      New Lenox Liberty       4:48.65         3
4       Devin White     Dixon Reagan    4:51.15         3
5       Marcus Taylor   Washington Beverly Manor        4:51.57         3
6       Nick Musick     Eureka  4:53.12         3
7       Kyle Harvey     Sullivan        4:53.84         3
8       Peter Corsi     Lemont Old Quarry       4:54.19         3
9       Brent Rhodes    Monticello      4:55.02         3