-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bob Duncan
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 9:42 PM
To: WW Track & Field Email list
Subject: Re: t-and-f: Fw: NYT - "Felix, 18, Is Still Making the Adjustment
>From High School Star to Professional"

> Interesting the number of athletes who need inhalers.  Do you suppose
> it is out of proportion to the general population, and if so, why :-)
Maybe we inhale too much dirty air.

But seriously, I don't think the medication would give you any advantage.
I've been asthmatic most of my life and had a terrible recurrence in my
early 20's when my running was really going super.  Since then (almost 30
years), I've suffered through one medication after another and the side
effects.  This is no fun at all.  For example, most inhalers or other meds
will make your heart race and also can make you overheat.  Corticosteroid
drugs weaken muscles and cause weight gain.  And you have to time the
medication for best effect.  After your race, you are jittery from the side
effects.  Beer helps :-) though.  Despite the effectiveness of the
medication, you are  never 100% again and this is a *progressive* disease,
which means that you get worse over time.  I personally had to abandon road
racing and limit any serious competitive efforts to 800m.

The list of asthmatic athletes is endless.  Jim Ryun, of course.  Had Jackie
Joyner-Kersee not been asthmatic, her 800m times would have been faster,
given her natural talents and her records would be even further out of
reach.  Joan Samuelson became asthmatic later in her career, as did Mary
Slaney.  Paula Radcliffe is asthmatic, something which I just discovered and
makes her records even more incredible.  And now it appears that none other
than El Guerrouj is having breathing problems as his last two races have
been far below his usual standards.

bob