the greatest number of top-100 performances in this outdoor season. If that
favors the Americans, it at least correctly reflects their world rankings.
Half of the top ten men's vaulters are Americans.

#1-ranked Toby Stevenson, who topped the list of "most consistent" with 9
top-100 performances, has had 13 outdoor meets this season, as has
#2-ranked Tim Mack. #3-ranked Averbukh (ISR) has competed 9 times, but only
three of those were top-100 performances. Of the other non-Americans with
greatest name recognition, #10 Dmitri Markov (AUS) has had 7 outdoor meets
in Australia and 14 elsewhere; #13 Romain Mesnil (FRA), 11 outdoor
opportunities; and #15 Tim Lobinger (GER), 16. My observation from these
data would be that while American vaulters do, indeed, have more and
earlier competitive opportunities than most of the world's vaulters, these
differences are not overwhelming when the comparison is with the best of
other competitors.

I like Randy's suggestion of month-to-month percentage of top-100
performances as a predictor of success in later meets of the season. Maybe
he'll follow up on it. Again, if you're interested in seasonal performances
in the vault or other events, I'll remind you that you'll find the links
for individual athletes on the homepage of Mirko Jalava's website
<tilastopaja.net>.