http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=trackandfield&id=1991698

Reuters Internet Delivery System

By Gene Cherry

GREENVILLE, North Carolina, Feb 14 - Teenage sprinter LeShawn
Merritt's coach is confident the American will run the 400 metres in
under 44 seconds this summer, a feat accomplished by only seven men.

"To think that he could break 44 (seconds) is very realistic," veteran
coach Bill Carson told Reuters on Monday at East Carolina University,
where Merritt is a first-year student.

The 18-year-old world junior 400 metres champion outdoors, shocked
indoor fans when he ran the distance in 44.93 seconds in Arkansas on
Friday, a time only world record holder Michael Johnson has beaten.

Johnson set the indoor record of 44.63 seconds in 1995 and ran 44.66 a
year later.

Merritt's 400 metres time was a junior world record as was his 20.40
seconds in the 200 metres on Saturday.

He would improve with time, said Carson, who has been coaching at the
university for 38 years.

"I'd say 43.80 or 43.90," Carson added when asked how fast he thought
Merritt could run this summer.

Only six men have posted times faster than 43.90 seconds, with
Johnson's 43.18 the world record.

Merritt's outdoor best is 45.25 seconds, slower than his indoor time.

"I am not naive," Carson said. "I know how much work you have to do to
take nine-tenths of a second (off your personal best).

"The guy ran 44.93 seconds in his fourth collegiate quarter (mile),
and we haven't trained (for speed).

"And we are talking indoors!" Carson said.

ENDS