Given how many of the top Kenyans train away from home most of the year,
that seems like a very odd objection.  Sounds like Paul is grasping for
excuses.

Dan

--- "R. Schmidt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=trackandfield&id=1991783
>
> Reuters Internet Delivery System
>
> By Isa Omok
>
> NAIROBI, Feb 15 - Former world cross country champion Paul Tergat has
> blamed the regular change in national coaches for Kenya relinquishing
> their domination of the sport to Ethiopia.
>
> "We will keep losing our grip on the world cross country title if we
> keep changing coaches. It is not good for the runners because we need
> consistency in this area," Tergat told reporters on Tuesday.
>
> Tergat was the men's long course world cross country champion from
> 1995 to 1999, and no Kenyan has won the title since.
>
> Ethiopia's Kenenisa Bekele has held the long and short course titles
> since 2002 and is the only man to win both events at the same
> championships. He also led Ethiopia to the long course team title in
> 2004, breaking Kenya's 18-year grip on the event.
>
> "Many athletes who were selected (for the championships) want to train
> on their own outside the national team's residential training camp.
> That is a clear message to athletics chiefs that something is wrong
> with the coaching," said Tergat.
>
> "I greatly benefited from the programmes at the camp...and I prefer
> that athletes remain in the camp. But the coaching system must be
> streamlined and changing coaches every year should stop," the marathon
> world record holder added.
>
> Athletics Kenya scrapped head coach Mike Kosgei's position last month
> as part of a decentralisation of coaching.
>
> Kosgei, one of the country's most successful coaches, was offered a
> position in charge of cross country and distance running but rejected
> it.
>
> A set of coaches led by Julius Kirwa is preparing the Kenyan team for
> the world cross country championships in France on March 19 and 20.
>
> World 5,000m champion Eliud Kipchoge has asked officials to allow him
> to train away from the national camp, which began on Monday.
>
> Athletics Kenya chairman Isaiah Kiplagat said all athletes would stay
> at the camp in Kigari, 250km north east of Nairobi, and urged coaches
> to join their charges there if they wanted to continue with their
> programmes.
>

> ENDS

=====
http://AbleDesign.com - Web Design & Custom Programming
http://Run-Down.com - 10,000 Running Links, Fantasy T&F
  @    o      Dan Kaplan - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 <|\/ <^-  ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
_/ \ \/\      (503)370-9969 phone/fax
   /   /