http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/4320623.stm

Jason Gardener completed an historic hat-trick of European Indoor 60m
title wins in Madrid on Saturday.

The Bath star powered his way to the line in a blistering 6.55 seconds
to edge fellow Briton Mark Lewis-Francis, who ran 6.59 to secure the
silver.

Pre-race favourite Ronald Pognon of France was forced into third in 6.62.

Jubilant Gardener said: "My season's not gone to plan but I turned it
round. This is probably my last European Indoors so it is very special
for me."

Gardener added: "I was under a lot of pressure coming into this race
and the French guy was the favourite.

"But I wanted the challenge - I am a championship runner - and I was
so relieved to cross that line in first place and to see Mark finish
in second.

"I thought for an instant that the start had been false but managed to
keep my concentration and win.

"No one can take this gold medal away from me and it will go in the
cupboard with all the rest.

"I have a huge smile on my face. For once I don't have a surgeon's bed
waiting for me and now I have to get on and achieve some good results
this summer."

Lewis-Francis added: "To finished the indoor season with a silver
medal is great."

Pognon said: "I came very badly out of the blocks and had therefore
many problems in the first 30m.

"However, the winning time was slower than the times I've run this
year but I have to admit the two British guys were better than me."

Photo gallery: pictures from Madrid
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/photo_galleries/4318461.stm

ENDS