Some info here and it is getting a bit messy.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/discussion/viewThread.jsp?forum=1&thread=10939

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

This morning's L.A. Times carried a short snippet
news item about a German female long jumper
who was awarded the gold medal- I think at the
German Indoor Championships- yesterday, but
tried to give it back because her "winning" distance
was something like a full meter greater than her P.R.
which had been 21 feet-something.  All of her other jumps
yesterday were around 21 feet except for this
monster jump which would be greater than a
Bob Beamon improvement.
According to the news story she tried to give the
gold medal back because 'it couldn't possibly be
right', but the German authorities refused to take
it back and redistribute the awards.

Any more detailed info from our European friends?
Does video exist of it, to determine whether the
officials mis-marked it?  Or could it have been a
foul at the board which was missed?

How are statisticians going to deal with this mark?

RT