By Simon Turnbull, Athletics Correspondent

The coach of Kostantinos Kenteris and Ekaterina Thanou insisted
yesterday that he was happy to take the blame for the failure of the
Greek sprinters to attend drug test appointments on the eve of the
Athens Olympics as it emerged precisely why the pair had been cleared
by their national athletics federation.

"I do not feel like a sacrificial lamb," Christos Tzekos maintained in
the aftermath of Friday's decision by the Hellenic Amateur Athletic
Association's decision to absolve Kenteris and Thanou but ban their
erstwhile trainer for four years. "I am delighted with the result. As
long as they are innocent, it is fine with me."

Both have cut their ties with Tzekos since the furore on the eve of
the Games last August when they checked out of the Athletes' Village
without attending drug tests and ended in hospital after allegedly
being involved in a motorbike accident.

Whether Kenteris, 31, the surprise Olympic 200m champion in 2000, and
Thanou, 30, winner of the 100m silver medal behind Marion Jones in
Sydney, will get the chance to return to the international area,
however, remains to be seen.

Although cleared by the Greek federation of having deliberately missed
three separate drugs tests in the lead-up to last year's Olympics - in
Chicago and Tel Aviv, as well as in Athens - Kenteris and Thanous
still face the prospect of being banned. The world governing body of
the sport, the International Association of Athletics Federations,
expressed "surprise" at the verdict, but IAAF spokesman Nick Davies
said that the documentation would be considered by the IAAF's doping
review board and that the matter could be referred to the Court of
Arbitration in Sport in Lausanne.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/general/story.jsp?story=621905