Thursday 31 March 2005

Olympic 400 metre champion Jeremy Wariner isn't being boastful when
confidently predicting very fast times for 2005. On the contrary,
Wariner explained, exceptionally fast performances will be nothing
short of an absolute necessity just to qualify for the US team for
next August's 10th IAAF World Championships in Athletics, Helsinki,
Finland.

"It's going to take a very fast time to make it the World
Championships," said Wariner, who led teammates Otis Harris and
Derrick Brew to a sweep of the Olympic podium last August in Athens.
"I think mid to low 44 won't make the team. I think three of us are
going to run under 44."

The young athletes are hungry

Of the ten men who ran 44.72 or faster last year, seven were
Americans. In the past month, two new stars - both still teenagers -
emerged to add more names to the already deep mix: LaShawn Merritt,
and Kerron Clement, who both dipped under the 45 second barrier
indoors, with Clement setting a surprise World indoor record of
44.57*.

Yet even with Clement, who said last week that he'll focus primarily
on his main event, the 400m Hurdles, out of the immediate picture,
competition in the full-lap this year in the US will be nothing less
than staggering.

"The young athletes are starting to step up now," said Wariner,
himself barely 21-years-old. "The young athletes are hungry."

http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=29005.html