Does anyone share my surprise at the lack of interest in organizing women's decathlon competitions? Both Jalava, in his world deep list, and Castellini, in his IAAF top list, show only one meet having been held this season. That was when Austra Skujyte of Lithuania set a new world record at Columbia, MO, on April 15. On the other hand, just scanning Jalava's heptathlon list, I quickly counted more than fifty hept meets.

I 'd have thought lots of heptathlon athletes would be eager to set initial national records for the decathlon. Is there just not that interest by the athletes, or are meet organizers reluctant to add to the weight of their already busy schedules? Any thoughts on the matter?