I've been meaning to ask a semi-related question.  There's lots of data
out there on the performance gains of training at altitude, and the
effects of altitude on sprinting, but I can't find anything about its
effect on distance running.  Is there a percent formula (slow-down), or
does it vary too much with each individual?

We have our XC District meet at 3,000' feet this year, which isn't huge,
but it's significant for people accustomed strictly to sea level.  I'm
curious how much slower we should expect 5k times to be, or if the modest
altitude effect can be countered by extra hill work and higher mileage
(strengthening the lungs and circulation).

Dan

http://AbleDesign.com - Web Design & Custom Programming
http://Run-Down.com - 10,000 Running Links, Fantasy T&F