** This is the quasi-official and semi-temporary T13 email list server. **

Dear Andre,

May I make a suggestion? As in the ATA6 AV Feature Set
proposal a good definition of the command completion time
would be the time from the command register being
written to the last interrupt of the last sector transferred.

This allows true device performance to be measured, but requires
that the IDE driver, and associated structure includes a mechanism
to transfer the times beyond the kernel. This is highly OS specific, I
know, but it is the only true way to HDD performance without dedicated
hardware.

At Philips we have modified the request structure to include a Start
Time and a Finish Time for a request. In such a way very accurate
HDD performance can be measured, such as head & track skews,
for example.

Would it be possible to include such time fields in the standard IDE driver?
For the AV Feature Set the IDE driver it would be useful if the IDE driver would
return a measured command time.

Provisionally, even in the Taskfile Interface this would be welcomed. I assume
that you are currently defining what should come into the IDE driver for ATA6,
so this may be an option. Would you be prepared to discuss this further?

Kind regards,

Stephen.
--
Dr. Stephen Cumpson, Senior Scientist,
Group Storage Technologies, Building  WY 1 45, (WY12),

[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED] on 17/05/2001 10:19:30
Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]@SMTP
Sent by:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]