** This is the quasi-official and semi-temporary T13 email list server. **

Shibu,

Re: DRDY ATAPI bit
I too would like to know what the DRDY bit can be
        used for on ATAPI devices

Re: PIO Mode
a) The host is in complete (almost) control of the PIO timing
        (IORDY could stretch it out), so the drive has no idea
        what mode the host is actually using (just an fastest upper bound).

        The only way that I think the drive could know this
        info is if the host wrote it to the drive.

b) For PC storage PIO is not used (except for boot):
        i) Significant HDD performance impact
        ii) When using Intel Pentium II or later processors, it is
                very difficult to support faster than 16X CD-ROM drives
                let alone 48/52X CD, or 16X DVD drives
        iii) DAE (digital audio extraction) even at 1X is very difficult in
PIO

        Therefore I am for NOT making any changes for PIO

Jeff

Jeff Wolford                       Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Storage Architect
Manager - Storage Interface and Tools - PC Storage Group
    Voice: (281) 514-9465,     Pager: (800) 973-5739
Compaq Computer Corporation