2009/12/8 Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com>:
> How should a parking lot be tagged, that is provided for customers,
> e.g. at a restaurant, or retail business? It may be signed as such
> (e.g. "Customers only"), or may not. Generally there is no gate
> restricting access, parking is free, and you would generally assume
> you could legally drive through the parking lot (but not park) if you
> weren't a customer.
>
> The wiki (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dparking)
> says "private parking lots such as for a company are not tagged" but
> "Parking lots at cinemas, convention centers etc. which are for public
> use but with restricted access should still be mapped".
>
> This seems more complicated than it needs to be.
>
> The most intuitive tagging for me is "amenity=parking +
> parking=customer". Other options are:

Sounds good to me, How should we tag a private corporate employee car
park? Partically round hospitals where there are staff car parks and
patient car pars and they are different.

> * access=destination - but I think that should only be applied to highways
> * operator=* - but this doesn't seem to imply clearly enough that the
> right to park may be restricted

Can do that as well, often the car park is restricted to the shops but
operated by a Parking Company. (Who check how long people have been
there, clamp, and ticket as necessary)

> * a (new?) relation to indicate the relationship between the business
> entity and the parking lot (only vaguely related to the proposed
> "Site" relation:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Site)

Sounds good to me, you sometimes get one car park shared by a number
of shops where you must be a customer of one of them to use the car
park.

Peter