What I'm about to post here is (for the most part) replicated in a
Trac ticket to the Rendering folks at:
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/2968
but I think this will probably require a change to the tagging of
amenity=parking, so I'm sending it here as well.

In Washington, DC, we've received permission to import all the GIS
data the city government has.

One dataset we decided to import was the parking area, which were
given to us as polygons which were extracted from the road dataset.

A number of DC OSMers imported this data into OSM, and the result was
a mess, as you can see here:

http://osm.org/go/ZZcbc5UO

The whole city is like that...

This appeared to be caused by the lack of access tags, since the
renderer assumes that in absence of an access tag, it renders as if
access=public were set.

The polygons we received were of all sorts of parking- lots, side
parking, etc. And so I changed many of the polygons to say
access=unknown.

Unfortunately they still render with the P, which is wrong.

Complicating matters a bit, the wiki page here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dparking

Says that amenity=parking should only be used for parking lots, and
not other less formal parking.

In my mind this leaves 3 options:

1) I change the tagging and find a more appropriate tag (or else create one)

2) We fix the definition of parking and change the renderer.

3) We delete all the parking data DC has given to us from OSM.

#2 is my favorite solution, as it seems the most "right". #3 is my
least favorite solution, since it's all high quality data.

Thoughts?

- Serge