On 15/08/2010 22:30, John Smith wrote:
I'm not sure this is the best way to do things, what do others think?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Map_Features:shop&oldid=517645&diff=next

If its vacant, then its not a shop, so shouldn't be tagged as such. Otherwise it will show up on applications / renderers that show anything tagged as shop=* with a shop icon.

Found this page on the wiki, which has a summary of some of the ideas for tagging disused features etc: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Comparison_of_life_cycle_concepts

ie use a separate namespace, so tag it something like disused:shop=yes
Then it can be easily ignored by applications that just want to show currently existing shops, or rendered differently etc.