On 17 August 2010 08:53, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> it doesn't change the good point Ulf made: a potential data consumer
> would have to know all school types for a pleasant results. Currently

That's actually a reason to sub-tag, so they can show a generic icon
instead of needing to constantly update their rendering style sheet
for a new amenity added every other day.

> most schools are tagged with amenity=school and maybe a name. This is
> sufficient for many maps. If we now start to put all kind of special
> interest schools, sports facilities and other in this category, it
> will get useless. Renderers would have to know all local types of
> general schools that will get entered in the subtag school (because it
> will not remain general and because it is a good idea to tag
> school=fr:lycee, de:Gymnasium, it:liceo, highschool, etc.). Or they
> will only evaluate one tag (amenity=school) because they do this for
> years, and they will start to display rubbish.

You seem to be trying to convince me that subtagging is a good idea
and others are already doing it anyway.

> I'm generally in favour of subtagging, where it is adequat. I just
> don't see the benefit here and worse, I feel it would harm. In the
> case of schools I think there are already enough different types of
> general-education schools to differentiate. If you make a map of
> schools you will in most cases don't want the boxing schools in.

You haven't really shown a bad harm, schools will continue to render
as is, these other types of schools are also for learning, so where is
the problem?

> Another hint might be to see how others handle this. If you look at wikipedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_by_country
> there is not the faintest hint to other than general education
> schools. No word about driving schools or dancing schools. They are
> very different. Really. Btw: the OSM Wiki refers to Wikipedia's
> definition of school.

Wikipedia is a good starting point for research, but no one usually
uses them as a primary source.