>>> I'd like to know what ford=culvert means first.
>>
>> Sorry, I should have photographed one I passed this morning, complete
>> with
>> water.
>
> Perhaps you can describe it? The only thing I can think of is a normal
> culvert where water also flows over the top if it's high enough.

In a town which does not have underground storm water management, the
gutters at the side of the roads have to cross one of the roads at an
intersection so you have a half-elliptical shaped culvert which traffic
crosses, making a little ford. The wikipedia definition of culvert is
simply "A culvert is a device used to channel water." and these fit into
that definition.