Tom Chance wrote:
Hi there,

I want a way of creating an object for an energy generator and then saying "this is on top of / inside this building object". Here is an example of one such object:

I checked on the wiki page and couldn't see any established or proposed uses of relations for this purpose. Am I missing one, has this been discussed before?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations

Isn't it kind of obvious, that a "photovoltaic" type power generator is located on top of the building rather than inside or below?

You may assume a basic level of intelligence from the user of the data and add only information that has more than one option. E.g. is the post box attached to a wall or does it stand on its own? In this example you would not need a relation, since the post box node can simply be joined with the building way.

If there is something notable about the object, you could also start with a note=* tag that describes the interesting features. If there are more advanced tagging schemes in the future, other mappers can apply it without visiting the place again.

Sebastian