If a body of water that is not navigable is not a waterway, does this mean that
any river that contains a waterfall is not a waterway?  What about a stream or
river that has portions that are too shallow to be navigable, or where the
current is too rapid?  What if it is navigable for only part of the year?

The wiki page for the waterway tag does not say that a body of water must be
navigable in order to be classified as a waterway.