At 2010-09-07 02:57, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
So obviously this is a tower:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Electric_transmission_lines.jpg

I use a key of tower_type with the following values to specify the type of tower when they are not one of the "normal" types (for which I could not easily come up with names).

This is one example what I call a "normal" single-circuit (3-phase) type: http://sites.google.com/site/am909geo/osm-1/power_1.jpg

This and your example above are what I call a "normal" dual-circuit (3-phase) type: http://sites.google.com/site/am909geo/osm-1/power_2.jpg

and this is a pole (no matter what voltage it carries):
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pyl%C3%B4ne_haute_tension.JPG

I use tower_type=monopole for your example and this one: http://sites.google.com/site/am909geo/osm-1/power_monopole.jpg

But what about something like this, where there are several poles with
crossbars: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Electric_power_transmission_-_Ljusdal.JPG

I treat this just as my other "normal" non-monopole single-circuit towers. When you look at them, they are all made from various kinds of structural members, including poles, angle-iron, etc. I suppose it might be useful to identify the ones with wood in them for weather/fire reasons. Maybe material=wood?

Or this, where a single pole is made of metal with diagonals:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Stork_nest_on_power_mast.jpg

It doesn't look like a single pole. It looks like multiple pieces of tubing with supporting angle-iron pieces. I'd treat it like a normal dual-circuit tower.

I also have these:

tower_type=dipole : http://sites.google.com/site/am909geo/osm-1/power_dipole.jpg Two solid metal/concrete poles that meet (or almost) near the top. dual-circuit capacity.

tower_type=u_frame : http://sites.google.com/site/am909geo/osm-1/power_u_frame.jpg Forms a continuous upside-down U. Multiple sections can be joined sideways, resembling "ladyfingers", to handle more than 2 circuits. (This example is unusual in that it only carries a single circuit, with one phase on the right circuit position and the other 2 phases on the left circuit position).

tower_type=a_frame : http://sites.google.com/site/am909geo/osm-1/power_a_frame.jpg Usually seen as the input and output interfaces of a substation. The example shows two of them at right angles to each other. They are made of two identical A-shaped structures with a single pole across the apex of them, similar to a sawhorse. The insulators are spaced evenly across that pole between the A-shaped sides. Additional structures are added sideways to accommodate more circuits.

tower_type=a_frame : http://sites.google.com/site/am909geo/osm-1/power_a_frame_wide.jpg This type of structure is used to carry more than 2 medium-voltage circuits down a utility corridor. Similar to the a-frame described above, it has two ends with tower sections across them. In this structure however, the three phases of a circuit are aligned vertically instead of horizontally. They can be made quite wide to accommodate more circuits horizontally (I've seen 9).

To each, I add circuits=* to indicate the number of circuits the tower can handle (not necessarily how many are currently strung on it, which is specified in power=line + cables=*). The number of cables per circuit is implied by the type of transmission, with the default of 3-phase high-voltage AC having space for 3 cables per circuit.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>