I have a couple of questions as to if I should be marking certain ways
as highway=residential or something else, and am looking for feedback.

The definition given for residential roads is "Roads accessing or
around residential areas but which are not a classified or
unclassified highway."

First, I've recently done a couple of roads in the country. They're
either dead end roads or form some sort of web but are not connecting
roads in the sense that they go anywhere else in particular.  One
example is about three or four km long, and has about 5 farms and a
few smaller properties on it. How would you tag that?  It's not what I
would call a residential area, though obviously a few people do live
there.

The other extreme is lanes in places like retirement villages and
caravan parks.  These are definitely residential areas, but are not
full blown roads, usually only one lane wide and private roads, not
publicly owned. Often with little or no curbing, etc.  It feels wrong
to just be marking them as residential.

Any suggestions?

Stephen